ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing
Learn the fundamentals of sailing.
Our Basic Keelboat course is all new this season. We’ve expanded the curriculum to further support what we’ve always emphasized – more time with an instructor, more time on the water to practice individual skills, and encouraging sailing as often as possible immediately after the class.
Our new subscription program changes how you will learn to sail. Ultimately, we are going back to how people always learned to sail, by sailing often. People learn new things one way, by practicing!
Benefit from more time with an instructor and more training time on the water than any other school.
We are offering an opportunity to become an able sailor, a knowledgeable sailor, that knows how to sail a responsive boat right from the beginning.
Included in your tuition is:
- 24 hours of on-the-water instruction
- 12 hours of directed practice sailing between instructional sessions
- 1 free practice charter, to continue practicing your sailing skills without and instructor aboard. You’ll be sailing with a friend, family member or another student.
- 1 year membership in our Bareboat Chartering Club—As long as you remain a student you will always receive chartering privileges. This is a value of $300 a year.
- American Sailing Association certification with their official log book, documenting your training, discounts on sailing goods, trips and more.
You will become ASA certified, but you’ll also have access to training boats, instructors, and other new sailors. You’ll be mentored by the best teachers, in a learning environment where every day will be a positive experience. This is a formal learning experience. The end point of our program is the beginning of the rest of your life. The goal is to make sailing a life long love. This takes a little bit of time, but opens up a world of possibilities.
Buy One Get One!
Due to physical distancing restrictions, all of our courses are privately scheduled. You can learn to sail by yourself, but if possible, we encourage you to learn to sail with someone from your “household”. To that end, our program fees are BOGO (Buy One Get One!). In other words, tuition is the same for one or two people.
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Or call +1 (310) 823-5545 for more information.
ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing Details
Bluewater Sailing’s ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing subscription includes instruction, guided practice sessions, and charters.
The program is scheduled flexibly. For instance, there are some cases where you can complete two sessions in one day. Give us a call to discuss your calendar availability and we can create a schedule that works for you. The basic outline for the ASA 101 curriculum includes three parts:
Part 1: Sailing Fundamentals with Directed Practice
- Session 1 and 2 are instructional sessions led by your ASA instructor and will cover boat prep, boat driving skills, rules of the road, buoys, and situational awareness. You’ll enjoy sailing out on Santa Monica Bay!
- Session 3 will also have your instructor aboard and covers docking and undocking, raising and lowering sails underway, and takes place in the marina.
- Session 4 is a directed practice session where you will practice the skills you have learned so far, but now without an instructor on board. You will sail inside the marina for this session.
- Session 5 will cover the fundamentals of crew overboard rescue techniques and will be led by your instructor in the marina.
- Session 6 again provides you with a directed practice session for you to practice in the marina without an instructor aboard.
- Session 7 is the final instructor led session that will extend the skills you have learned and prepare you for your checkout. You’ll sail further west out on Santa Monica Bay.
- Session 8 is your final directed practice session, without an instructor, to prepare for your checkout sail and certification as the next step. You will sail out and back on Santa Monica Bay!
Part 2: Checkout and Certification
- Session 9 includes an instructor checkout sail on Santa Monica Bay, followed by the ASA 101 written exam.
Part 3: Independent Sailing Practice and Additional Instruction
- Sessions 10 and 11 are your free practice charters! You can sail out on Santa Monica Bay and continue to build skills and confidence. Enjoy!
- Session 12 is an instructor led FAST class (Fun Awesome Sailing Time!) This session will provide you with additional techniques to advance your on-the-water awareness and capabilities, as well as providing you with a unique opportunity to work on the specific skills that you would like to work on.
- Session 13 and 14 are additional charters for you to sail out on Santa Monica Bay and continue to build confidence. This is the moment when the investment in yourself pays off. You can begin to feel like yourself on the boat. And you will begin to look at what might be next! The amazing world of sailing and the amazing you!
Bluewater Sailing ASA 101 Subscription Pricing Plan
The deposit payment is due when you enroll in the program. $1,000
Payment 2 is due when you arrive for your first lesson. $875
Payment 3 is due when you schedule sessions 3 and 4. $875
Payment 4 is due when you schedule sessions 5 and 6. $875
Payment 5 is due when you schedule sessions 7 and 8. $875
Payment 6 is due when you schedule session 9 for your checkout and certification sail. $875.
Certification total: $5,375
Fees include 24 hours of instructional time, 12 hours of directed practice time, Bluewater Sailing annual membership in bareboat charter program, 1 free charter, ASA certification fee, ASA Logbook, ASA 101 book, and local taxes and county surcharges.
Payment schedule is intended to be based on your needs. Since the program is modular, optional packages are available to fit timing and budgets. You may choose to pay as you go or in monthly installments. Remember our program fees are Buy One – Get One. In other words, tuition is the same for one or two people.
All sales are final. Deposits are non-refundable.
- Basics of sail trim
- Rudder control
- Power handling
- Docking and Undocking
- Crew communication
- Crew overboard prevention and recovery
- Rules of the road
- Aids to navigation
- Safety at sea
- Knot tying and more
There is nothing like a private lesson. Our focus is your success. We have designed a comprehensive curriculum, but the pace is yours.
Private sessions are scheduled as your life dictates. An instructional session is typically four hours, but we have some flexibility to schedule shorter or longer individual lessons based on the topic and schedule. You select dates and times. We schedule appointments seven days a week. Weekend appointments should be arranged well in advance. If you need to change or cancel a lesson, we require at least a 24-hour notice.
The program is a commitment to yourself. If you can fit in three sessions a month you’ll complete the program in four to five months. If you wish to finish faster than that, expect to schedule four or more sessions a month. Once the instructional time is complete, sailing will be a habit. Sailing will become more than practice. It will be your personal time, your “stay-cation”, your relaxation time. If we’ve done our job well, you’ll be sailing twice a month for the rest of you’re life.
Contact us for more details.
As always, our goal is for you to become a skipper and be able to sail with a less experienced first mate. One or both of you may love being the Skipper, but whether you like being the First Mate or enjoy being a passenger, you’ll both be relaxed together on the boat.
To that end, our program fees are BOGO. In other words, tuition is the same for one or two people. We promise to teach you to sail together.
Social Distancing Protocols are to be maintained.
Wash hands prior to boarding boats.
Wear face coverings.
Maintain social distance on the dock and on the boat.
Our fleet is reserved for our student’s use and not available to the general public.
Boats are cleaned prior to and after each use.