ASA 103 - Basic Coastal Cruising
Build Your Skippering Skills!
The ASA 103 Basic Coastal Cruising course is an intermediate course that picks up right where Basic Keelboat leaves off. You’ll learn how to sail medium sized boats with diesel inboard engines and build your crew management skills on longer trips and under a wider variety of conditions. Completing this course will take your sailing to an entirely different level and open a whole new world of sailing adventures.
This course typically takes place over four 6 hour days – two consecutive weekends. (A Saturday and Sunday, then the following Saturday and Sunday). We also offer special, three-day holiday courses as well as private courses tailored to fit your schedule. And after you’ve graduated, your sailing privileges will be upgraded to allow chartering of any boat in the Bluewater fleet up to 30 feet!
Prerequisites: ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing, or commensurate sailing experience
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Or call +1 (310) 823-5545 for more information.
Our Basic Coastal Cruising course will prepare you to skipper a vessel with a more experienced crew. To get you comfortable sailing without an instructor on board, your tuition includes free sailing time to practice, practice, practice. Included in your tuition is:
- 24+ Hours of on-the-water instruction
- Extra course session – Free sailing time to go out with other students.
- Free half-day charter to sail with a friend, family member or another student.
- Membership in our Bareboat Chartering Club—As long as you remain a student you will always receive chartering privileges. This is a value of $195 per year.
- With an American Sailing Association certification (optional) you’ll receive their official log book, certification documents, monthly publication and more.
- Diesel engine operation
- Power handling near docks
- Heavy weather sailing
- Balanced sailing and proper sail trim
- Larger boat systems
- Emergency procedures
- Introductory navigation skills
- Skipper’s responsibilities and crew communication
- Refueling procedures
Group classes typically take place over four days – two consecutive weekends. (A Saturday and Sunday, then the following Saturday and Sunday). We offer special, three-day holiday courses.
Private courses are also available. Contact us for more details.
You can save money and lock in free chartering privileges by taking advantage of our 103 / 111 combo packages. Contact us for more details.
|* Textbook and ASA certification and processing are optional|
|ASA certification and processing:||($85)*|